Victoria Prentis MP has given her backing to a campaign organised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and ABTA (The Travel Association) to highlight the importance of adequate winter travel insurance.

The campaign comes after new research from ABTA showed that over a quarter (28%) of people across the South East of England fail to check whether they have the correct insurance to cover winter sports, such as skiing and snowboarding.

Taking out the correct winter sports insurance is more important than ever. There were 45 British deaths from skiing and snowboarding holidays reported to the FCO in the last three years, with thousands more having suffered injuries both on- and off-piste. To help raise awareness, ABTA and the FCO have also teamed up with former British Olympic skier, Chemmy Alcott, to provide the latest travel advice from pre-departure to après ski.

More information about ABTA and advice for people heading on a winter sports holiday can be found on its website.

Commenting on the campaign, Victoria said, “Winter sports holidays are very popular, and I know many people from North Oxfordshire will be taking one in 2016. However, medical costs arising from uninsured accidents abroad can be very high. It is crucial that when we do travel overseas, we are covered in case of something going wrong. Travel insurance, especially for sports holidays, is a travel essential, which is why I am very happy to support this campaign.


What can the FCO do for people who have problems when travelling abroad?

The FCO can:

·         Issue you with an emergency travel document

·         Provide information about transferring money

·         Provide help if you have suffered rape or serious sexual or physical assault, are a victim of crime or are ill or in hospital

·         Give you a list of local lawyers, interpreters, doctors or funeral directors

·         Contact you if you are detained abroad

·         Contact friends and family at home for you if you wish

·         Provide help in cases of forced marriage

·         Assist people affected by parental child abduction

The FCO cannot:

·         Help you enter a country if you do not have a valid passport or necessary visas

·         Give you legal advice or translate documents

·         Investigate crimes or get you out of prison

·         Get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people (but we will raise concerns if treatment falls below internationally recognised standards)

·         Pay any bills or give you money

·         Make travel arrangements for you

For more information from the FCO, please visit their website.